Even when I was younger, I loved baking bread from scratch - seriously, I have always thought it was the coolest thing to watch a pile of wet, gloppy ingredients turn into a big fluffy loaf of bread. I love the smell of bread as it bakes in your oven and I love eating it when it's still warm and steaming - there is nothing like homemade bread.
I have taken a long break from baking homemade bread (except that yummy Rosemary Foccacia
I made) - because honestly, who has the time?
Baking bread is a long process, with lots of steps AND it involves yeast and rising dough which can be hit or miss sometimes.
But then I saw this from The Gracious Pantry
and knew I had to give it a try. It has only a few ingredients, and no sugar!
Now, the recipe is found within the video that's posted on the blog. But it's such an easy recipe, I wrote the steps down while watching it and had no problem following along. I highly suggest you watch the video
before you make it.
Clean Eating Bread
7 ½ c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 Tbsp Kosher Salt
1 ½ Tbsp Yeast
¼ c. vital wheat gluten
4 c. warm water (100 degrees)
1. - Whisk all dry ingredients together. Add warm water and stir. Dough will be wet and sticky.
2. - Let dough sit on the counter for 2 hours
3. - Move to refrigerator and let sit overnight
4. - Take dough out of refrigerator, and form into loaf shapes on parchment paper. Let sit for 90 minutes.
5. - You can add seeds, nuts, etc to the top of the loaf and cut slits about halfway down the loaf
6. - Place a baking stone on the middle rack of your oven, and preheat to 450 degrees. Slide your loaf (still on the parchment paper) on to the baking stone. Pour 1 cup of hot water in a boiler tray, on the rack directly underneath your baking stone.
7. - Cook for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
This recipe should make 3-4 loaves of bread, depending on how big you make them - talk about a money saver! The dough can remain in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. My husband and my extremely picky son both love this bread! I consider that a win...