A couple weeks ago I told you about my fun adventures with kale. I know you think that I had dropped the kale kick ... but I haven't. The weather we've been having lately, and pretty much the general fall air, seems to bring out the longing for soup in me. Since I'm already on the kale kick, why not mix the two?? I have had a few different soups that had kale in them and some are well, ehh. Sometimes, they are just broth and kale and no flavor - this one, not so. This one is good.
- 2 bunches Kale, Picked Over, Cleaned, And Torn Into Bite Sized Pieces
- 12 whole Red Potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 whole Onion, Chopped
- 1-1/2 pound Hot Italian Sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (I used more)
- 2 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 cups 2% Milk
- 3 cups Half-and-half (or so, I used a little bit more)
- Fresh Or Dried Oregano
- Black Pepper To Taste
In a medium pot. boil sliced potatoes until tender, but not falling apart. Drain and set aside.
In a large pot, crumble and brown the Italian sausage with diced onion. Drain as much as the fat as you can off. I used a colander to get it out. Stir in the red pepper flakes, oregano, chicken broth, milk, and half-and-half. Simmer for 30 minutes. You need to be very careful not to let it boil or the milk will start to separate.
Add the potatoes, then stir in the kale. Simmer an additional 10-15 minutes, then serve.